Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Journal Entry: Absolut San Michele

2:30 pm

V. went out with some people from the hostel last night and was out until 3 am. This hostel is okay. It's a bit weird, and there is no laundry as advertised online. I need to wash clothes, but I suppose I can do that tomorrow in Nice.


We bought our train tickets to Nice. We leave early in the morning at 7:50 am. We're traveling first Class from Milan to Nice. We went down the Strata Nove looking for Café Costa Rica like Jan wanted us to, and couldn't find it. We had a doughnut from a little pastry shop right before the McDonalds. We walked all the way to the Rialto and then turned around and walked back towards the train station. We finally found Café Costa Rica and I had a cappuccino. We missed it because I was looking at fresh fruit when I first walked by it, and V. was looking at the pictures by the door and didn't read the sign.

We then got on the Vaparetto, in the wrong direction. We rode it around the other side of Venice to St. Mark's Square, then we had to change Vaparettos and we went back to the Rialto bridge. We then made our way to the Fondamente Nuove, getting lost a couple of times, and finally found the right boat to San Michele. It was marked “Cemetero” on the map schedule and so that confused me and I had to ask the ticket taker/seller which boat. All the signs here are very ambiguous. We spent a little while on San Michele. We made it to the gate facing Venice, and heard all the church bells ringing, just like Jan told us to do. I recorded some of it, I hope that the audio picked it up.



Then we ate lunch and headed back to the hostel. I think Franco was arguing with the cleaning girl, but I couldn't be sure because I didn't know what they were saying, so maybe they weren't arguing.

There's no toilet paper in either bathroom, and the no laundry kinda pissed me off. Don't advertise something you don't have.

Last night when V. went out with the other hostel people, Franco took them to a pub, and left them there. He said he was going to get a couple of other people who had wanted to come and then never came back. V. and the others had to find their way back to the hostel and most of the others were drunk. And that's why I didn't go, because I knew, I just knew, something like that would happen. Also the hostel really doesn't have anywhere comfortable to sit, just hard chairs and a table. The people are nice though, and Franco did offer us some pasta but we had already eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment