Saturday, May 16, 2009

Journal Entry: Portici Evening

10pm

Getting ready for bed. We found a great pizza place on the road down from the Circumvesuvium train station here in Portici. I think the name of it was Pizzaria del Centro on Via Libertá. They didn't speak a lick of English. They made the pizza fresh and it was amazing the way they did it. The guy tossed it up in the air although it may have been for our benefit as they knew we were American. They baked the pizza in no time flat in an old fashioned brick oven. And it tasted delicious.

Mark from Ostia turned up this evening. We ran into him on the way back from getting the pizza, where he was buying a roast chicken. We showed him to the hostel which is not that easy to find. We ate downstairs, I bought a beer out of the fridge, called Peroni, it was delicious and they only charged €1 for it, which was quite a deal.

I couldn't even eat all of the pizza, which I only paid €4.50 for. Mark offered me €1 for the rest of it, but I gave it to him, I was just going to toss it anyway.

We took a shower and came back to the room, where two of our new roommates were hanging out. They go to Brigham Young University and are Mormon (surprise, surprise). One of them asked what religion we were, to which I responded none. So help me, I'm not interested thanks. Crazy. And now I'm going to bed. Rome tomorrow.

The quote for today is “Wow! It looks like Christianity came to Pompei/Roman world earlier than I thought.” Said by a man at Pompei when looking at a fresco of Dyonisis. I responded by bursting out laughing. The Christians stole all of the Roman iconography and that fact is lost on the vast majority of the uneducated.

* Margin scribbling: “Naples is the Bronx of Italy” -V.

No comments:

Post a Comment