Monday, May 18, 2009

Journal Entry: Venezia

8:23 pm

Waiting for a shower to be free. We arrived at Absolut Venice about 1:30pm. There are only two bathrooms, but other than that, it's quite nice and clean. I really like our room. We walked around Venice, as far as the Rialto Bridge before giving up and buying a Vaparetto pass. We then took the water bus down to St. Mark's square and ate some gelatto. We walked around St. Mark's and window shopped. We checked out the Hard Rock Café but it was expensive. We came back to the hostel and talked to some of the other people. A couple girls from the northeast who were taking a night train to Naples.


They're staying in the Fabric Hostel too. Also some roommates from Canada, Alberta I think they said. We realized it was getting late and decided we better stop running our mouths and go find dinner. We stopped at a pizzeria. V. ordered pizza again and I ordered a burger. It was a little hole in the wall place, off the beaten path. The hamburger didn't come on a bun, but they gave me bread and it was good. They had asked me if I wanted fries and I said yes. I realized when I went to pay that the fires probably weren't included in the price and wound up paying €14 for dinner. That's the most I've spent on food so far, but it was good and there was so much I couldn't eat it all. I'll be careful tomorrow.

I think that my rash is subsiding some. I called Jan back, and told her and she said maybe I had touched something like an arm rest that had something on it I was allergic to. It may have been the nasty train in Naples. That place was totally ghetto.

I have to admit that I did freak out a bit this morning when I woke up and realized that I had a rash in a foreign country where I don't speak but a few words of the language.

The train ride from Rome to Venice was pleasant. It cost €65 and the second class seats were very comfortable and we talked to a girl from Ontario, her name was Jennifer, who got on in Firenze. She was going to Venice to catch a cruise and had been to Rome and Pompei as well. She was originally from China and had emigrated to Canada eight years ago.

The beds we have are great, right under a window that overlooks the street to the train station. It's awesome. And the owner is great too, Franco is his name. He's quite a character. (And that was an understatement!)

No comments:

Post a Comment