Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Journal Entry: Avebury and Sore Knees (Again)



I’m back at the hostel now. My knees are sorta bothering me. They started aching when I was walking up a hill. Too much walking up hills I suppose.


Avebury Stone Circle
Today I went to Avebury. I took a train to Swindon Rail Station and then a bus to Avebury. It was well worth it. I spent about four and a half hours there. I walked all the way around the stone circle, went in the church and a couple of shops. I bought Jan an old key. It was £4. {As opposed to the €700(!) key I asked about in Paris}

I also walked over to Silbury Hill and West Kennett Long Barrow. The barrow was pretty cool, and you could go in it, which I was surprised about. I was the only one there.
I had lunch at The Red Lion Inn. Another burger with chips. I really didn’t feel like anything else, it cost £7.95. 
 
West Kennett Long Barrow
I also had a sausage sandwich for breakfast at a café near the bus station. It was quite good. {Sally Lunn’s wasn’t open when I left}

I got back to Bath about 5pm and went to Sally Lunn’s. I had the “Bath Cream Tea” just as I did on my honeymoon. It was delicious as always. 

Sally Lunn's "Bath Cream Tea"

Now I’m just sitting here. Everything is closed except the pubs and I don’t really know what else to do with myself. I don’t really want to walk anywhere since my knees are giving me grief. I think I’ll call Andy and maybe Jan. My bloody phone bill is going to be $300. Then a shower I think. Tomorrow I’m going to Oxford in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment