Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Journal Entry: The Philosophy of Time



Still on the train. I was thinking about a story that Taine told me the second day I was with her. She drove me down a country road, not far from her house. She told me to look to my right as she pulled off the road. There was a decaying wrought iron fence and bushes. Some trees too. She said it was there that a man named Matthew Hopkins was buried. It used to be a church, but the church was long since gone, the graves lost in the brambles, the stones ground to nothing by vines. 

Matthew Hopkins was the ‘Witch Finder General.’ He hunted innocent people and sent them to their deaths, for nothing, for false charges. She supposed it was fitting that he was now in an unmarked grave despite all the power he had had over people [in life].

I thought that she brought up an interesting point, whether she intended to or not, and that is, eventually most [all] tyrants wind up in an unmarked grave. Time destroys all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment