Thursday, June 4, 2009

Journal Entry: Oxford Academia and Trebuchets



Better showers at Oxford Backpacker’s Hostel, but mattresses are quiet thin. I’m pretty exhausted.

First I walked all over Oxford looking for Billy a football jersey but couldn’t find one. When I was here before everyone had them. I guess they’re not in style now?

Then I took a train to Warwick. There is a castle there and I heard they fire a trebuchet, so I wanted to see it. But first I had to find lunch. I had eaten a sausage roll at the Bath Spa train station but was ravishingly hungry by this time because that had been hours ago and I had walked a couple of miles. I saw a pub called The Roebuck and it had a leaping deer on the sign. I looked at their menu and didn’t see anything that screamed out to me and I very nearly walked on, until I saw a thing that said they were the oldest pub in the town dating to 1475. Well that decided it. It was your typical medieval pub, awesome. I ordered fish and chips. With a fountain drink (with ice! no less) it cost £9.75. Not too bad. I enjoyed it thoroughly. 

Then I continued up the road and saw tourist info. I stopped in there and they called up the castle to check on what time the trebuchet was fired. It was at 2 and 4:30. At that point it was about one o’clock so I decided to pay the £15 to get in and go see the trebuchet fired.

There was a lot more to the castle but I didn’t get to see all of it. I got there in plenty of time to pick out a choice spot on the bank to watch them wind the trebuchet up, using four men in two wheels to lift a seven ton weight, and then lob a 15kg ball (they said it could do up to 150) across the lawn. It was pretty awesome and I got it all on video.

 Video Compilation - Backpacking Europe 2009

Then I was going to wander up to the castle and look at it, but I got side tracked by a large crowd gathered. I wondered what they were there for, so I decided to wait and see what was going on. It was a falconry show! It was amazing. They had eagles, a bald one, it’s child, a blue one and a white tailed hawk I think it was. I’m not sure of the actual types of the second two. I knew Andy would have loved to see it. It was very impressive. After the show hung around and listened to the guy answer questions. In the course of the conversation it came up that he offered hunting excursions! I was very interested at that point. He said it was £75 for half a day or £150 for a whole day I think. I told him I was only here until Saturday but I wanted his business card in case we ever came again. hawkexperience.co.uk

Then I went to the gift shop and bought bookmarks with my, and my parents-in-law’s surname on them. They were metal, thin and very cool.

At this point I was starting to get tired so I headed for the exit. There was a man giving an archery show, and I watched for a few minutes, but I was tired so I left.
Took the train back to Oxford. 

When I got back I was able to check in. They had held my bags for the day but it had been too early to check in.

Then I went back out thinking a ghost tour would be fun but not knowing if there was one. Tourist Info was closed. Everything closes really early here considering how late it stays light. I wound up half lost and wandered back down to one of the main streets. 



I was walking when I passed a sign for a ghost tour that was leaving in fifteen minutes. I had been hungry and thirsty but thought I could suspend my appetite long enough for the tour. 

I popped across the street for a soda and then came back and waited. It cost me £6 and only six people showed up. The guide was a bit stuffy, but I learned a lot. Most of the ghost stories were kinda lame. A couple were interesting.

By the time we got through I was really hungry so I stopped at the Pizza Hut on the way back, near the hostel. They had just closed their dining room but were doing take-away. I got a Mediterranean pizza with chorizo and bacon. Delish. Only £6.95 for an individual sized one and they gave me a medium because they were out of small crusts for the evening. I didn’t think I’d eat it all but I did because I was so hungry from all the walking. I brought it back to the hostel and ate in the common room. I bought a Peroni beer from the bar. Also Delish!

There was a long term guy from Qatar sitting across from me. We talked some. He almost got into how screwed up the US government is, to which I responded, most governments are screwed up. Luckily he changed the conversation.

The only other girl in my four bed room is from Basque country. She’s teaching (or tutoring?) at the college for four months.


I’ve had a shower, it’s late, I’m tired. I’m looking forward to seeing Andy in two nights.

And here’s a quote for the day, to pick up as before, “…aristocracy of fourth century Rome…empress…” These two men, who looked very astute walked by while I was waiting for the ghost tour and were having a very deep conversation. Only in Oxford could you overhear such an academic conversation on the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment