Saturday, May 19, 2012

Journal Entry: Florence First Evening

This hostel in Florence is good, there are some minor things that could be better. Like fans in the room. It’s too quiet.
 
Hostel Courtyard
The water in the shower also does not stay a constant temperature, it goes from hot to cold every other minute.

I found the American breakfast place where Lizzie ate! It’s called, hell I can’t remember, but it’s on the corner of the square by the duomo (called Astor).

I climbed to the cupola in the duomo. It was worth the €8, although part of the way is two-way traffic in a very narrow,  and very steep corridor. I am going to the Accademia and the Uffizi in the morning. I will stop by the duomo inbetween perhaps. I did not see the main part of the church yet. 
 
From the Cupola of the Duomo
There are really too many tourists here, it’s one big tourist trap really. Might be better in the off-season.

Oh, and here there are some foreigners, I’m not sure their ethnicity [south-east Asian?] that were selling the same kitsch [and fake purses] that the Nigerians were selling in Rome. They had set up their goods on sheets in the square of the duomo. As I was trying to find the hostel, the lot of them suddenly gathered up their goods and ran like mad through the square. I suppose the police were coming, although I never saw the police. [It was an impressive thing to see.]

The door to the hostel is very old and very short. I hit my head coming in, pretty hard. I have a pump knot [for those of you not from western NC, that's a goose egg, or a lump] on the top [of my head], the guy who runs the hostel was so nice, he gave me some ice to put on it.

The gelato in Portici is better [and cheaper].

Gelato

I am going to order four eggs for breakfast. Watch me.

No comments:

Post a Comment