Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Journal Entry: Nice People Everywhere & the Vatican Museums



I had the most amazing day today. I got up at 6am to my alarm going off. I had been awoken at 3a by some screaming party girls. I couldn’t tell where it was coming from though, maybe the street?

I went down to a place that said they had “English Breakfast” but they didn’t speak enough English to tell me what was in it. The guy just kept saying “orange juice.” I ordered an espresso instead.

Then I went and got two bananas from the fruit seller. I then took the metro to Ottavian stop for the Vatican. I saw a sign that said “Vaticani Musei à” but decided I wanted to see St. Peter’s square in the early morning light, before there were too many people. 

I was disappointed, in that there was a lot of scaffolding, restoring the statues. But more than that there were all these barriers everywhere. It really ruined the flow of the place. I thought I could get to the entrance to the museums by going to the other side of the square and walking up that street, but it is a dead end.  

Just as Bernini Intended it to Be - Covered up with barricades
I had to walk all the way back the way I came. My legs were killing me! When I got to the entrance, I asked a man standing there if the line I saw was for the individual without reservations. He said yes and offered me a tour that got admission early for €50. Otherwise I’d have to wait an hour. I thanked him, but said I was on a budget. I walked over to wait in line. I almost considered going on the tour, but I’m glad I didn’t! About the time I might have made up my mind to do it, a girl walked up behind me and asked if that was the line. I said yes, I had asked one of the tour guides and was sure of it. We started talking and it helped pass the hour. 

We then went through the museums together and also ate lunch, went back to St. Peter’s and walked to a couple other sites together. Her name was Halley (not her real name as she was from S. Korea)
 
Anubis

Raphael's School of Athens


We had a lot of fun together and I gave her my business card and told her to look me up on facebook. 

Halley and I in St. Peter's Square
Jan I think, had told me she hadn’t seen the “purse sellers” in Venice lately. Well they’re all in Rome, selling knock off Prada purses [in front of Castel Sant'Angelo]. That is until they suddenly started packing up. I looked behind us and it was the police!

We ate Burger King. I had a double whopper and feel so much better now. I need more protein, as I’m sure my leg muscles need all they can get.

I’ve taken 459 pictures and it’s only the second day.

No comments:

Post a Comment