Monday, May 21, 2012

Journal Entry: Pisa



I am in Pisa. I have seen the leaning tower and paid €2 to go in the church. I did not pay to climb the tower. 

This morning at 4a my phone started beeping because it was dying. It probably woke everyone in the room. The nice guy at reception let me charge it in their lock box. Very nice feature of that hostel. Again the only problem with that hostel was the water not staying hot. 

This morning it was still raining. It had rained hard in the night. I t finally stopped a bit and so I went down to the “souvenir market.” I bought a leather jacket! It looks fantastic on me. It had been €690. I haggled the man down to €175. They had a store but also a stall on the street. 

It feels like very nice leather. I hope I made a good choice. [I did, I love this jacket, and everyone says it looks great on me.]

I managed to save some money this evening. I went to the store to buy breakfast and lunch, well dinner for tonight. I had two hamburger patties with a fried egg on top. For breakfast tomorrow, I will have pancetta and eggs. Cost me €7, plus I bought a stick of butter for cooking and two bananas. Not bad! 

The hostel is very clean, but Spartan. No saop in the bathroom. That’s how a lot are in the UK. I am in a three bed dorm. And the bath is ensuite! No one is in here so far. Could I be so lucky to have the room to myself? I dare not hope. 

Hostel Common Room

It stopped raining about half way to Pisa which was nice, because it was a very long walk to the leaning tower. 

I leave on the train to Nice at 9:31a tomorrow morning. 

I had weird dreams last night. I dreamed of Zech and Jacob when they were children. There was more to the dream but I do not recall it. I lit a candle (an electric one) for Zech in the church here in Pisa. I’m still sad. 
 
Pisa Cathedral
I did not go in the Duomo in Florence, except the cupola the first night, because  the line was around the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment