Sunday, May 20, 2012

Journal Entry: Florence is Over-rated



Florence is completely over-rated, unless maybe you are looking to buy leather goods. The Uffizi and the Accademia are both way over-priced for what they have. I was totally unimpressed. There were three paintings in the Uffizi that were worth paying for, Boticelli’s “Primavera” and “Birth of Venus” and Artemisia Gentileschi’s “Judith Beheading Holofernes.” However, those even were not worth €15! And at the Accademia, the famous Michelangelo’s “David” was nice, but I hate to say it, I’ve seen better! Yesterday in fact, Roman sculpture at the National Museum (well the day before that actually). And the price was just ridiculous. The Louvre is cheaper. The Louvre that would take a week to go through doesn’t cost €15!!!**

The Uffizi took me about an hour and fifteen minutes. The Accademia took forty-five mintues, and I looked at every piece! The National Museum in Naples took longer and I thought it was small. In fact, I would bet the Asheville art museum is bigger than the Accademia. 

The only cool thing in the Accademia, besides the “David” was a room full of plaster casts. The gift shops were also extremely over-priced. 

All in all, I don’t think I’d bother coming to Florence again. Unless I want to buy leather goods.

There was a leather coat factory outlet I went to. They had some nice coats for €149. They were originally €400-€700. I would have bought one, but all the ones they had in my size were either too short or not my style. There were two longer ones I liked a lot but they were too small.
 
I really wanted this coat, but I'm not rich - it was 1700(!)
I went to another store and the salesman was uber-pushy. He gave me a good price on a jacket but I didn’t really like it. I think he was offended. I hate pushy sales people.
The hostel is okay, but I just about froze last night. I am going to ask for an extra blanket tonight. I woke up with my hips hurting this morning. 
 
There was a leather outlet store on this piazza where the salesman was obnoxiously pushy
Oh, and I finally got my eggs for breakfast! €7 for two eggs, 2 sausages and I had asked for two pieces of Panchetta (which is bacon) but the waitress must have heard “pancakes” LOL because they brought me pancakes. That also included a Cappuccino.

I wonder how many miles I’ve walked this week. It seems like a lot. 

**[I love art, I'm an artist, and I think the Accademia and the Uffizi were rip-offs. You have to pay extra in advance to secure your ticket or wait for hours in line to get in. You cannot take pictures, even without a flash. Currently as of 2014, the price to do this is about €42 for both. I call BS.]

No comments:

Post a Comment