Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Journal Entry: More Train Shenanigans



This was the worst day by far. And it’s raining too, but at least I didn’t get caught in it. I hate Paris. More specifically please send me back to the endless fields of grapes.
The train ride was bad. But let me back up. After I checked out of the hostel, I missed the gas station where I was going to get gas. I pulled into a different one, but the streets are all one way, so I couldn’t go back. I got a bit lost. Then once I found the station parking, I couldn’t find the Avis spots. 

I filled it up!
The paint was almost worn off the pavement, but I finally saw them. Then when I went into the station, I saw on the board that there was an electrical problem between Toulouse and Carcassonne, so the trains were delayed/cancelled. I might be on the six o’clock news here, as there was a guy from France 3 walking around interviewing people.
I stood in line, and found the Avis office is unsigned, and on the front right side of the station. Then the girl told me to go to catch the bus to Narbonne as I had a layover for the train to Paris there. 

I missed the bus. But then I stood in line again and they said the train I was supposed to be on was okay. I waited but they all said they were still delayed so when a train came in and was marked “Narbonne” I went up to Information and asked if I should get on it, and the lady said yes. So I ran, and made it just as it was leaving. 

I caught the train in Narbonne no problem. The train ride from Narbonne to Paris was horrid. No dead body this time, though I could have killed the fat pig of a man sitting next to me. He was probably 350 pounds, and didn’t even try to keep to his seat. [Note that I used to be quite fat, but I tried my best to not invade other people's space.] And he smelled and kept coughing without covering his mouth. And he was ugly. And I don’t mean just physically. His soul was ugly. 

I spent €5 on a yogurt and water, just to sit in the dining car and get away from him.
I got to the hostel okay. The restaurant was really busy. I wanted to eat there, but all the tables were reserved. When I finally got a table, no one waited on me. I was irritable from the train ride so that might have colored my perception of things. 

Normally the bar has a good vibe, but when I arrived it was horribly crowded with large school groups
 I finally went to the store and bought a small bottle of wine from the Pays d’Oc!!!! Yum! It was only €2.75 or so. I also bought a sandwich from the place down the street from the hostel. “Poulet avec fromage.” And they asked me if I wanted it hot. They meant spicy. It wasn’t that spicy. Not like the place in Marseille. 

My writing sucks. I blame the wine and that I want to go to sleep. 

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment