Sunday, May 27, 2012

Journal Entry: Journey To Carcassonne



Today was glorious! I checked out of the hostel about 8:15 and found the rental car place in Marseille Gare St. Charles with little difficulty. Finding the A-7 was another matter! After going the wrong way [and taking a detour through an apartment’s parking lot] and doubling back to ask one of the rental car ladies how to get to the A-7 I was on my way. 
 
Gare St. Charles in the Morning Light
I went to the Pont du Gard, and that was really all I had time for. I spent about 2 ½ hours there, and then headed for Carcassonne. I wanted to go to some other sites, but reception is only open until 7pm here, so I would have been cutting it close. 

 I checked into the hostel and they gave me a private room! No ensuite, but private nonetheless!!! I need this. It is nice. I also have an amazing view. I can see the walls of La Cité from my room! I had dinner at Le Trouvere, the same place where V. and I ate three years ago. I had their House Plate, which was a three course meal and a pitcher of wine, which I finished this time. It was a bit much and I was quite tipsy for over na hour, but now I am fine. I had bacon salad, then cassoulet (duck + pig stew) and a scoop of ice cream (chocolate) for desert. The cassoulet was delish! I need to find a recipe for that.

 
Window of Private Room

Private Room - Yay!

 
Bacon Salad - Needs more bacon!

Yummy Cassoulet

Le Trouvere - One of my favorite places

Oh, and the Pont du Gard was amazing! Cost €18 for the whole site, including parking. If you could have walked in, it would have been free. The museum was a little hokey, but interesting, and the aqueduct itself was beyond anything. I don’t know how they built it. It is huge and beautiful and marvelous. 

The Aqueduct is very impressive
It's survived floods for over two thousand years
The aqueduct from above
It would be nice to go back there some time with swimming gear and a picnic lunch.
Back to Carcassonne, I walked around the walls as the sun was setting. Gorgeous doesn’t even begin to describe it. I also hung around after it got dark. Beautiful! 

Carcassonne Lit Up
I need to plan where I’m going tomorrow, and hit the hay. I’m quite tired.
Oh, and all the highways were toll roads. Cost me €24 in tolls to drive here from Marseille. 

No comments:

Post a Comment